Imagine the sand between your toes as you discover one of Wilmington's three different beaches or the extensive history at Fort Fisher. Immerse yourself in the culture of downtown Wilmington, complete with a vast array of dining options, ecletic art, and a beautiful waterfront river walk. If you're not captured yet, maybe a round of golf on one of Wilmington's designer courses will suit your taste. From beaches to battleships, a trip to Wilmington, North Carolina is sure to offer something for everyone!
ILM’s Top 10 Reasons to Visit Wilmington, NC!
- The Beach! Take your pick with one of three different beaches in Wilmington. Each beach offers something different in both location and look and feel. From competitive surfing to family fun, spend a day at Wrightsville, Kure, or Carolina Beach and you surely won’t be disappointed!
- History! A trip down the historic river walk allows you to take a glance into Wilmington’s rich history. Just across the Cape Fear River sits the USS North Carolina battleship, only minutes away from Fort Fisher, used primarily in the Civil War for trade. Don’t forget to stop and say hi to George Davis (his monument, of course) on your way through downtown!
- Golf! Forget heading further south; Wilmington has all of your golf needs covered! Award winning courses designed by Bob Moore and Jack Nicklaus offer a range of options for the perfect golf trip.
- Shop! From upscale boutiques to indoor and outdoor malls, Wilmington is a one-stop-shop for the shopping lover! Whether you’re looking for vintage pieces or a great new pair of jeans, our multiple shopping centers and collection of boutiques are sure to have what you need!
- Downtown! Complete with a historic river walk, an array of dining options, gorgeous views of the water, and a rich blend of arts and culture, downtown Wilmington is truly like no other. If your taste ranges from fondue to sushi, downtown is a must-visit stop on your vacation!
- Airlie Gardens! If you’ve never visited Airlie Gardens, you are surely missing out! This breath taking garden features walking trails, lakes, and azaleas as far as the eye can see! Plan a visit to Airlie Gardens and be sure to fit in a stop by the 467 year old Oak tree located there as well – it’s a sight to see!
- Screen Gems! If you’ve seen Iron Man 3, Revolution, or Dawson’s Creek, then chances are, you’ve probably seen parts of Wilmington... as all three were filmed right here! These listed are only 3 of about 350 produced in the Wilmington area. During your trip to Wilmington, don’t miss a tour of Screen Gems (offered in the summer only) and get a true behind-the-scenes look!
- Azalea Festival! If you’re searching for a good time to visit, consider visiting in April during the Azalea Festival! Full of family fun, the festival is filled with events ranging from the circus and concerts, to the street fair and annual parade... and lots of azaleas, to say the least!
- Arts & Culture! If you love the arts, don't miss seeing a production at Thalian Hall or check out the Cameron Art Museum for latest exhibition – all right here in Wilmington!
- Sporting Events! Catch a Wilmington Hammerhead’s soccer game or grab tickets to see UNC-W play basketball! The Hammerheads are internationally recognized as a USL Pro League team and offer games April through August. These events are always a blast!
Ready to make your travel arrangements? ILM offers non-stop service from the following cities: Washington DC (DCA), Philadelphia (PHL), New York City (LGA), Atlanta (ATL), and Charlotte, NC (CLT) on either US Airways or Delta Airlines. For more information about ILM, please browse our "Parking and Transportation" or "Passenger Information" menu above! We hope you'll visit Wilmington, NC soon!